Manchester Evening News Raises £1M in 24 Hours
The Manchester Evening News has raised over £1 million in donations in just over 24 hours for families of those injured or killed in the suicide bomb attack on Monday (22 May) at the Manchester Arena.
At least 22 people were killed and 59 injured, including children, as fans left a concert by American singer Ariana Grande.
Not long after the attack the MEN set up a Just Giving Page, following readers asking how they could help victims of the attack. The money raised will be administered by the British Red Cross, who are offering support to affected families.
More than 32,000 people have so far made donations to the MEN’s “We Stand Together” fundraising page with pledges of money from organisations including Morrisons and the Co-Op.
A message on the Just Giving Page said: “We would like to say a huge thank you to you for donating and sharing, to all of the companies who have backed the campaign and made donations and to JustGiving, whose records we have not only broken but doubled in terms of visitors to site at one time.”
Journalists on at the regional daily worked through the night on Monday 22 May to bring readers live updates of the terror attack and 34 pages of coverage in the next day’s print edition.
In a comment piece for the paper and website, MEN Editor Rob Irvine said: “Last night people offered shelter for those left stranded in the city centre. Others went to give blood.
“And even in the small hours of the night, social media was awash with people offering help, thoughts and prayers.
“And today, tomorrow, the next day and beyond, we can show the terrorists who want to destroy our way of life that they can never win.
“We will carry on, we will make Greater Manchester an even greater place. We will care about each other and support our neighbours. The terrorists will fail. We will prevail.”
Support the MEN fund here.