NMA Launches Royal Photography Competition
The News Media Association’s annual competition to find the best royal photography in the news media industry has been launched for a third time, with an added special category to celebrate the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
NMA member photographers from local and national publishers, and other members of the rota system including agencies and freelancers, are invited to submit their best photographs from Royal Rota or political engagements from the past year for the following categories:
- National Newspaper Rota Photo of the Year;
- Regional/Local Newspaper Rota Photo of the Year;
- Rota Picture Agency Rota Photo of the Year;
- Overall Rota Photo of the Year;
- Special Category – Rota photographs of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle together.
Entries must be received before the deadline of 12pm on 17 September. The general public will pick the best photographs in an online vote for the longlist and then a panel consisting of industry experts will pick the winners.
The judging panel is:
- Alan Sparrow, chairman of the UK Picture Editors Guild;
- Chris Eades, The British Press Photographers’ Association chairman;
- Lynne Anderson, NMA deputy chief executive;
- Martin Keene, Press Association group picture editor;
- Dr Michael Pritchard, The Royal Photographic Society chief executive.
The competition was launched three years ago to promote the outstanding work of photographers in the UK news media and the NMA’s media facilities services for members. Last year, the top gong was scooped by the Mail on Sunday’s Philip Ide for his image showing Prince George at Pippa Middleton’s wedding.
Members of the NMA, WPA, Council of Photographic News Agencies or Independent Photographers Association, members of the Royal Rota system, are eligible to enter this competition. Photos must have been taken at official rota engagements, from July 2017 to date, and can also include fixed points and images from international rotas.
For more information please contact Jeff Almond at the NMA on email@example.com.