Lord Black Becomes Master Of The Guild Of St Bride’s
Lord Black of Brentwood, deputy chairman at Telegraph Media Group, has become Master of the Guild of St Bride’s.
In mediaeval times St Bride’s had several parochial guilds, the oldest being that of St Bride. It was confirmed by a writ issued by Edward III in the Tower of London in 1375.
The Guild House, which among other things formed a social centre for the members, was situated on the north side of Fleet Street near Ludgate Circus.
In 1953, the guild was reconstituted and enlarged to contain representatives of a cross-section of Fleet Street interests and activities.
The first installation of members to the reconstituted guild took place on the 15 February 1955 at Hever Castle.
In 1975, to mark the 600th anniversary of the writ issued by Edward III, the Prince of Wales attended a service of thanksgiving, his first official public visit to Fleet Street.
On the first Sunday in February each year, members of the guild and their families attend the annual service of thanksgiving and installation of new liverymen.